I know we're still on week four but if you like to think ahead here are some thoughts for your week nine assignment, observing or participating in a book club (due March 12).
You're not required to to tell anyone at the book discussion that you're a librarian or that your attendance is part of a class, but feel free to if you want. If you've read the book, just discuss the book as you normally would, but if you're just observing take note of the following:
- Who is asking the questions, is there a leader or do people take turns?
- If there is a leader, does the leader answer the questions as well or let the attendees respond first?
- What type of questions are asked? Any involving just yes or no answers?
- Do all attendees actively participate?
- Do any attendees swoop in and steal all the spotlight?
- What is the atmosphere of the discussion, where is it taking place at?
- Are snacks or drinks provided?
- What types of books does this book club normally discuss?