Monday, January 22, 2024

Week Three Prompt Response

 So two things this week- first, I would like you to use Novelist if you are able (not every public library owns it, if you don't have access and want it, contact me and I can give you my access). Answer the following questions using Novelist (or another RA site) as much as you can - just to familiarize yourself with it if you aren't already using it.  Explain why you chose the books you did.

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

Second, after you get a chance to do the readings, I want to hear about how you find books to read. It could be a site or a resource you've just discovered or one you've used for years, one you use for yourself or for your patrons or family and friends. It could even be the New York Times or Tiktok!

Personally, I believe Novelist to be the best online tool, but it's not the only one. I use GoodReads as well as some trade journals (Library Journal, Book List, Kirkus, etc.).

I look forward to reading your prompts! Make sure they are posted to your blog by this Sunday evening. Same for everyone who signed up to annotate suspense, thrillers, and adventure! Any questions get in touch with me however is easiest for you. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Erin. Could you please clarify whether the information about how we find books to read should be in the same post as our prompt responses, a separate post, or a comment here on your post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same post as your prompt response! Thank you for asking! Sorry I wasn't clearer!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'll go back and add that.

      Delete
  2. Hello, should we be making at least 6 comments this week, three on prompt response posts and three on any of the annotations from this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not need to do that many - just three a week! You can respond to 3 prompt responses, 1 prompt response and 2 annotations, etc. Just as long as they are on 3 separate posts from 3 different students you are good to go!

      Delete

  3. Question about the secret shopper assignment - is there a rubric posted? I didn't see it in the assignment space and wondered if it was elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that catch! I'm adding it to the assignment now. Check canva and it will be there!

      Delete